Hints & Tips
8 Weeks Prior to removal
- De-clutter – If you don’t need it or use it then you don’t need to bring it to your new home.
- Talk to young children regarding moving house – This will give them time to prepare for the move.
- Start looking for a removal company – Get quotes for removal, also packing and storage if required. You may need to arrange insurance with your mover if your own home insurance does not cover house removals.
4 weeks prior to removal
- Packing – Now is the time to start packing anything you can live without for the next few weeks. Be careful you don’t overfill boxes and use the correct size depending on what you’re packing; heavier items like books will need smaller boxes.
2 weeks prior to removal
- Inform banks, credit card companies etc. of your new address
Less than 1 week before removal
- Pack and store any valuables, passports, driving licence etc. separately. Set aside items you will need for the first few days, some clothing, bedding, toiletries and kitchen wares.
- Relax – let the professionals do their jobs
We would like to offer you the following advice for your removal in to storage –
Items that cannot be put in storage –
- Petrol / diesel
- Anything flammable or with a hazardous label
- Food items
- Plants unless otherwise agreed
Items that we advise you do not put in to storage as they may be needed at a later date –
- Chequebooks, paying-in books etc
- Driving Licence
- Any personal papers (bank details, insurance etc)
- Electrical equipment e.g. hairdryers, mp3 players, game consoles